« PreviousContinue »
SECTION 11. Form of Deed for the Site of the Common School House, Teacher's
Residence, &c. This Andenture, made the day of — , in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and — , in pursuance of the Act to facilitate the conveyance of Real Property, between - , of the Township (Village, Town or City] of , in the County of , and Province of Canada, of the first part, and the Trustees of School Section Number —, in the Township of — , in the County of , and Province aforesaid, of the second part,
Jupitneggeth, that in consideration of — - , of lawful money of Canada, now paid by the Trustees of the School Section aforesaid to the said party of the first part, who hereby grants unto the Trustees of the School Section aforesaid, their Successors and Assigns for ever, all that Parcel of Laad, &c.
Is Trust for the use of a Common School, in and for School Section Number —, in the Township of — , and in the County and Province aforesaid.
The said -- -- Covenants with the Trustees of the School Section aforesaid, that he hath the right to convey the said Lando to the Trustees of the School Section aforesaid. And that the Trustees of the School Section aforesaid shall have quiet possession of the said Lands : FREE FROM INCUMBRANCES. And the said
COVENANTS with the Trustees of the School Section aforesaid, that he will execute such further assurances of the said Lands as may be requisite.
Xn witness whereof, the said parties hereto have hereunto set their hands and seals in the day and year before mentioned.
I. B. (seal. S
J. G. Witnesses.
F. R. Witnesses.
REMARKS. 1. If the Grantor be a married man, his wife's name must be inserted in the Deed, and this phrase added after the word "requisite :" And _ wife of the said
- hereby bars her dower in the said Lands. 2. When, however, the land has descended to the wife in her own right, she must. besides joining with her husband in the Conveyance, appear before two Justices of the Peace, to declare that she has parted with her estate in the land intended to be conveyed without any coercion or fear thereof by or on the part of her husband; and the Certificates of such Justices must appear on the back of the Conveyance the day of its execution. The form of the Certificate is as follows :-“We the undersigned Justices of the Peace for do hereby certify that on this day of
18—, at - - the within Deed was duly executed in the presence of
one of the Grantors therein named ; and that the said – at the said time and place, being examined by us, apart from her husband, did appear to give her consent to depart with her estate in the lands mentioned in the said Deed, freely and voluntarily, and without coercion or fear of coercion on the part of her husband, or of any other person or persons whatsoever."
* R. W - J. P
2. If the Deed be for the Site of a School-house in a City, Town or Incorporated Villages the words, Board of School Trustees for such City, Town or Village should be inserted instead of the words “ Trustees of School Section Number— ", &c., in the foregoing form. See the 24th and 26th Sections of the Act. Put
SECTION 12. Form of the Annual Report of School, Trustees to the Local Superin. .. tendent of Schools., 17 .
, Note. A copy of a blank form of the Annual School Report to be filled up and forwarded to the Local Superintendent before the 15th of January in each year, will be furnished to each set of Trustees. For the items of information to be included in the Report, see the 19th clause of the 12th Section of the Common School Act, 13th and 14th Vietu, chap. 48
According to the thirteenth section of the Act, any Trustee wilfully signing a false teport, will render himself liable to a severe' penalty, and also, according to the sixteenth dause of the twelfth section, in the event of his refusing or wilfully neglecting, at any time, to perform his duty.
N. B. Remarks on the Duties of Trustees will be found in the General Regulatione. chapter VI, section 2. The list of School Books, Maps, &c., authorized by the Council of Public Instruction for Upper Canada, with their prices annexed, will be found on page 3.
It is to be observed, that, according to the fifteenth clause of the twelfth section, it is the duty of each Corporation of Trustees to procure annually, “ for the benefit of their School Section, some periodical devoted to Education." The price of such a periodical is, of course, to be charged by the Trustees to the contingent expenses of their School Section, and included in the School Rạte. is.
FORMS FOR TEACHERS OF COMMON SCHOOLS.,
si in Section 1. Form of a Teacher's Receipt. ;. : esiin.. 1. Form of a Receipt to Parents or (Guardians on the payment of their Rate Bill. , . g is by go
o RECEIVED from there write thc name of the Pupil or person paying) the sum of (hero write the sum in words) currency, in payment of the Rate Bill due from here write the name of the person in whose behalf payment is made] to School Section No.--, in the Township of , for the [month or quarter) ending the --- day of — , 18- '' " Dated this — day of , 18%
Polis A. B., Teacher. REMARKS. When the payment of the Rate Bill is made by the Parent or Guardian concerned, the receipt should state it accordingly.
The payment of the Rate Bill to the Teacher, within the time which may be prescribed by the Trustees, will exempt the person thus paying it from the payment of the Collector's fees. The Teacher should, of course, apprise the Collector of all payments made to him, so that the Collector may not be at the trouble of calling upon such persons; and should the Teacher not inform the Collector of such payments within the time prescribed by the Trustees, he should be liable to pay the Collector the usual Fees for the unnecessary trouble imposed upon him by such Teacher's neglect. ,
2. Form of a Receipt to Trustees.
RECEIVED from the Trustees of School Section No. --, in the Township of
the sum of (here write the sum in words) currency, in payment of my salary in part (or in full] for the [month or quarter,) ending the day of , 18--,
· A. B., Teacher.
SECTION 2. Form of Teachers's Circular Notice of the Quarterly Examination of hans
School Section No.
-- - , 18Sir, In conformity with the 3rd clause of the 16th Section of the Common School Act, 13th and 14th Vict., Chapter 48, the Quarterly Examination of the School Section No. -, will be held on day, the of
, when the pupils of this School will be publicly examined in the several subjects which they have been taught during the quarter now closing. The Exercises will commence at 9 o'clock, A. M., and you are respectfully requested to attend them.
I am, Sir, your obedient Servant, To C. D., Schoof Trustee, or Visitor.
A. B., Teacher. REMARKS. A copy of the above Notice ought to be sent to each of the Trustees, aod to as many Visitors of the School Section as possible. Clergymen are School Visitors of any Township in which they have pastoral charge; all Judges, Members of the Legislature, Members of the County Council and Justices of the Peace, are School Visitors of the Township in which they reside. The Teacher should address a circular notice to those of them who reside within two or three miles of his School ; he is, also, required to give notice, through his pupils, to their parents and Guardians and to the neighbourhood, of the Examination."
For Holidays and Vacations, see General Regulations, Chapter VI, Section 1. For Remarks on the Duties of Teachers, see the same Chapter, Section 3, pages 57 and 59.
SECTION 3. Form of a Teacher's School Register. (A Blank Form will be prepared.] NOTE. As the first clause of the thirty-first Section of the Act contemplates the distribution of the School money to the several sections of a Township according to the attendance of pupils at School, and not according to School population, the Teacher who fails to keep a full and accurate account of the attendance of pupils at his school, lessens the resources of the School Section. No Teacher is entitled to his salary who neglects to keep a full and accurate School register. On the other hand, according to the thirteentk Section of the Act, any Teacher who shall keep a false School Register, or make a false School return, will render himself liable to a severe penalty.
N.B. The order of the Trustees delivered to a Local Superintendent will be intendent's authority and receipt for the cheque upon the County or Sub-Treasurer, and that cheque will be the Treasurer's receipt for the amount specified on the face of it.
· CHAPTER III.
FORMS FOR TOWNSHIP COUNCILS. SECTION 1. Form of Notice to be given by the Toronship Clerk to the person designated by the Municipal Authority to appoint the time and place of the first School Section Meeting.
Township CLERK'S OFFICE,
18SIR, I have the honour to inform you, that in conformity with the 3rd clause of the 18th section of the Common School Act, 13th and 14th Vict., Chap. 48, the Municipal Council of this Township has authorized and required you, within twenty days after receiving this notice, to appoint the time and place of holding the first School Meeting for the election of three Trustees for School Section No. --, which School Section is bounded and may be known as follows : (Here insert the description of it.) Copies of your Notice are to be posted, in at least three public places in the School Section above described, at least six days before the time of holding such meeting. H et , I am, Sir,
Your obedient Servant,
tin A. Bi, Toronship Clerk. REMARKS. In notifying the formation of several School Sections, or the formation of parts of Sections, the phraseology of the notices should be varied, at the discretion of The Township Clerk, and in accordance with the proceedings and directions of the Council.
The Notices of School Assessments, and Assessments for the erection and furnishing of School-houses, for the purchasing of School Sites, fc., may be given in such a manner as the Council shall direct.
For Form of Deed for a School Site, &c., see Chapter I, Section 12.
SBCTION 2. Form of intimating to Trustees the alteration of their School Section,
TOWNSHIP CLERK's Office,
18 -- 'i Sır.--In conformity with the 4th clause of the 13th section of the Common School Act, 13th and 14th Vict. chap. 48, 1 have to acquaint you that the Municipal Council of this Township has altered the School Section of which you are Trustee, in the following inanner : [Here insert the changes which have been made, and the description of the new School Section.) These changes will go into effect from and after the twenty-fifth day of next December, according to the 4th clause of the 18th Section of the Act.
You will please communicate this notice to the other Trustees of your School Section.
I am, Sir,
A. B., Township Clerk.
.. ! Remark. In giving notice of the formation of Union School Sections, see the remarks at the end of the following section 3. in
BBCTION Form of intimating to the Local Superintendent of Schools the alteration
of a School Section
184 SIR, --In conformity with the 4th clause of the 18th Section of the Common School Act, 13th and 14th Vict. Chap. 48, I have to acquaint you that the Municipal Council of this Township has altered School Section, No. an, in the following manner : (Here insert the changes which have been made, and the description of the new School Section.] These changes go into effect from and after the twenty-fifth day of next December, according to the 4th clause of the 18th Section of the Act.
I am, Sir,
Your obedient Servant,
AB., Township Clerk. for the County' or Township of
N. B. When the Union School Section is formed or altered, as authorized by the 5th Proviso of the 4th clause of the 18th Section, the Clerk of the Township in which the School-house of such Union Section is situated, should communicate the requisite notices to the parties concerned. See 6th proviso of the 4th clause of the 18th Section, compared with the 4th Section of the Act.
FORMS AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR COUNCILS AND TRUSTi', TEES IN CITIES, TOWNS, AND INCORPORATED VILLAGES..,
1. The forty-seventh and twenty-fifth sections of the Act require the Mayors of Cities and Towns and the Town Reeves of Incorporated Villages to call the first School Meetings in their respective Municipalities for the election of Trustees. The sections of the Act referred to are so explicit as to the manner in which such notices should be given, that it would be superfluous to insert any form for them in this place.
2. According to the twenty-sixth section and the ninth clause of the twenty-fourth section, the annual and special meetings for the election of Trustees, and for any other school purpose, are to be called by the Board of School Trustees of each City, Town, or Incorporated Village. The potices in every such case should be signed, in behalf of the Board of Trustees, by the Chairman or Secretary,--should be given to the taxable inhabitants of the city, town, ward, or village concerned, and should specify the object of the meeting called. With these remarks. the forms for calling annual and special school meetings in toynships by School Trustees, given in the first chapter of these Forins and Instructions, will afford a sufficient directory to Trustees in Cities, Towns and incorporated Villages for calling similar meetings. The same reference may be made in respect to the forms of School Rate-bills and agreements with Teachers, as far as it may be thought expedient to adopt them.
3. School Trustees of Cities, Towns and Incorporated Villages, will also adopt such forms as they may think proper, in laying, from time to time, before their respective Councils estimates of the sums required by them for Common School purposes ; likewise in preparing for publication the annual reports of their proceedings, as required by the eleventh clause of the twenty-fourth section. To facilitate the performance of the duty required by the latter part of the same clause, a blank annual report will be prepared and transmitted to the Board of Trustees in each City, Town and incorporated Village. This remark does not, of course, apply to incorporated Villages the current year (1850,) until the end of which their present School Section divisions and Trustees remain unchanged, and will report as heretofore by filling up the blank reports provided for them.. ;;!;
f. 13. .';. 4. The School Registers and Visitors' books kept in each Common School of any City, Town, or incorporated Village, are the same as those required to be kept in each Common School of a township ; resa pecting which, see remarks in chapter I of these Forms and Instructions.