Report on the River and Harbor Bill

Front Cover
U.S. Government Printing Office, 1910 - Harbors - 810 pages
 

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Selected pages

Other editions - View all

Common terms and phrases

Popular passages

Page 597 - River, and which may be allotted to levees, may be expended under the direction of the Secretary of War, in accordance with the plans, specifications, and recommendations of the Mississippi River Commission, as approved by the Chief of Engineers, upon levees upon any part of said river between the Head of Passes and Cape Girardeau, Mo.
Page 16 - Harbor of refuge at Nantucket, Mass. — This harbor is the only one between the harbors of Marthas Vineyard (Vineyard Haven and Edgartown) and Provincetown, a distance of 100 miles, except the small harbor of Hyannis, on the north side of Nantucket Sound. It has...
Page 163 - Chester River, Maryland, from Crumpton to Jones Landing. — Before operations were undertaken on this part of the river vessels at low tide drawing 6 feet of water could reach Crumpton, 33 miles above the mouth, and from that point to Jones Landing (to which point the stream is navigable in fact), 6J miles, the controlling depth was 3 feet, with a mean range of tide of 2.4 feet.
Page 137 - The present project was adopted in 1S78 and 1880 and contemplates the removal of the bowlders and snag obstructions and the construction of low dams and dikes to close secondary channels and concentrate the low-water flow on shoals. The amount expended under this project to June 30, 1909, was $263,624.52, fully one-half of which was applied to maintenance.
Page 12 - Project completed. 3. Adopted by the river and harbor act of June 13, 1902: To provide channels 35 feet deep at mean low water, 1,200 feet wide from the navy-yard at Charlestown and the Chelsea Bridge and Charles River Bridge to President Roads, and...
Page 11 - That channel was 23 feet deep at mean low water with a least width of 150 feet. The upper main ship channel from President Roads to Boston had a least depth of 18 feet at mean low water with a least width of 100 feet. The channel from President Roads to Broad Sound in the ocean had a least depth of 29 feet at mean low water with a least width of 200 feet. The original project, adopted by the act of March 2, 1825, was "for the preservation of the islands in Boston Harbor, necessary to the security...
Page 103 - Channel between Staten Island and New Jersey. — This channel is an inland waterway, about 17 miles long, connecting New York Harbor with Raritan Bay. It consists of the Kill van Kull, connecting the upper bay with Newark Bay, and the Arthur Kill, connecting Newark Bay with Raritan Bay. The natural depth through the channel was 15 feet or more, except for a distance of about If miles in Newark Bay, where there was a shoal with a crooked channel 9 feet deep, bordered by flats with depth of about...
Page 564 - March 3, 1881, previous to the present one, was for 16-foot navigation. This was practically completed July 1, 1897, and resulted in giving a good 16-foot navigation through the natural or Wisconsin Entry, through the artificial Duluth Canal, over the Duluth Basin of 104 acres, along and parallel to the principal dock lines of Duluth and Superior in Superior and St.
Page 377 - ... bars. The improvement was not permanent and other obstructions formed. The project of 1891 provided for the removal of obstructions between St. Martinville, La., and the mouth of the bayou, a distance of about 80 miles. Work under this project has been carried on since 1891, obstructions being removed as appropriations were made. The project was modified by the river and harbor act...
Page 128 - The work was done under appropriations for special localities, and also under general appropriations for the Delaware River below Bridesburg. A Board of Engineers convened by direction of the Secretary of War for the purpose of considering the subject of the permanent improvement of Delaware River and Bay recommended, under date of January 23, 1885, the formation of a ship channel from a point opposite Philadelphia and about midway between the American Shipbuilding Company's yard and the Gas Trust...

Bibliographic information