« PreviousContinue »
CH A P. XXI.
A they drew
ND when I.
when Jesus drew
and his Disciples nigh unto Jerusalem, and were come to drew nigh to Jerusalem, Bethphage, unto the and were come as far as mount of Olives, then sent Jefus two Bethphage, at the foot of the disciples,
Mount of Olives ; Jesus knowing that the appointed time of his Sufferings approach'd, fought now no longer to conceal himself, but refolv'd to enter pub
lickly into Jerusalem. 2 Saying unto 2. Calling therefore two them, Go into the of his Disciples to him, he you, and ftrait-way fent them into the Neighye shall find an als bouring Village, saying; go, her: loose them, and and take the Ass and Colt, bring them unto me. which ye shall find tied up
in a corner of the Street, and bring them hither to
me. 3 And if any man
3. And if any Man ask say ought unto you, ye shall say, The you, What you have to do Lord hath need of with them; say, The Master them; and straight wants them; and the Diway he will send them.
vine Providence shall so order the circumstances of things, that at that answer S
they shall be willing to let you have them.
4. (All this Jesus did, 4 All this was that in Him might be ful done that it might be
fulfilled which was filled these Prophecies :
spoken by the Pro
phet, saying, 5. Say ye to the Daughter 5. Tell ye the of Sion, Behold, thy Saviour daughter of Sion,
behold, thy King cometh, Efai. 62. 11. And cometh unto thee, behold, thy King cometh unto meek, and fitting upthee, lowly, and riding the fole of an ass.
on an ass, and a colt upon an Afs, and upon a Colt the Foal of an Ass. Zech.9. 9.)
6. Accordingly the two 6 And the disciDisciples went into the Vil. ples went, and did
as Jesus commanded lage, and did and said as them. Jesus commanded them 1, and found all things succeed as he had foretold them.
7. And they brought 7 And brought the Ass and her Colt, and the ass, and the colt, spread their Cloaths upon cloaths, and they set them, and set Jesus upon him thereon. the Colt thus clad; and he rode upon it with great lowliness and humble state, from Bethphage to Jerusalem.
8. And the Multitude 8 And a very great that came with him,
their Garments in strew'd the way before the way; others cut
down branches from him, some with their the trees, and firew- Cloaths, and others with
Boughs of Trees, as at a
9 And the Mul
9. And the People before titudes that went before, and that fol- and behind cried; God
prelowed, cryed, saying, serve & prosper the KingHosanna to the Son of dom of the Meffiah: BlesDavid : blessed is he that cometh in the fed is he that is sent by God, name of the Lord, to Instruct, Heal and GoHosannah highest.
vern his People: Peace and Glory and Dominion be
with him. 10 And when he
10. And when he entred was come into Jerur into Jerusalem with this was moved, saying, folemn Pomp and joyful who is this? Acclamations of the Peo
ple, the whole City was put into a sudden Commotion, and every body enquir’d; Who is this that cometh with such State and
Pomp? 11 And the mul- 11. And the Multitude titude faid, This is that came along with him, Jesus the Prophet of Nazareth of Ga- Answered; This is Jesus, lilee.
great Prophet of Nám zareth, the fame of whose Doctrin and Miracles, hath so long been spread through all the Nation..
12. ( Then Jesus alight 12 And Jesus ing from the Colt, went ple of God, and caft
went into the Teminto the Temple. And when out all them that fold he came into the outer and bought in the
temple, and overCourt, which is the Court threw the tables of of the Gentiles, he found the money-changit like a Market, filled with ers, and the seats of
them that sold doves. Mony-Changers Stalls, and Sellers of Cattel,and Doves, and the like; who fat there under pretence of having these things near at hand for the convenience of those that came up to Sacrifice: But Jesus clear'd the place, and turn'd them all out, saying:
13. This place was de 13. And said unto sign'd, not for à Place of them, It is written,
My house shall be Merchandise, but for the called the house of Service of God; that the Prayer, but ye have
made it a den of devout Profelytes of the thieves. Gentiles, who are not ad. mitted into the Inner and holier part of the Temple, might here Worship and Pray to the true God; according as Esaias Prophecied (Elai. 56. 7.). That the Temple of God should be an house of Prayer for all People. But now ye have most profanely turned it in
to a Receptacle of Thieves, a place of Covetousness,
Extortion, and Cheating: 14 And the blind
14. Now while Jeand the lame came to him in the Tem- sus tarried in the Court of ple, and he healed the Temple, many Blind them.
and Lame Men, who had heard the fame of his former Miracles, resorted to him; and he healed
them all. 15 And when the
15. But when the Chief chief priests -- and scribes faw the won. Priests, and Jewish Doctderful things that he ors saw these wonderful did, and the children Works; instead of being crying in the temple, and saying, Hosanna convinced thereby to Reto the Son of David, pentance, they were only they were fore, dif: pleased.
filled with envy, and en. raged against him; and hearing all the People ad. miring and applauding him, and even the very Children in the Temple, making joyful Acclamations to him, as Messiah or King ; they were in great
indignation. 16 And said unto him, Hearest thou 10. And they said to what these fay? And Jesus, Do you not hear Jesus saith them, yea; have ye
what these Children say ? never read, Out of Do you think it fit, that the mouth of babes these who understand noand sucklings thou haft perfected praise? thing, should be suffer'd to