« PreviousContinue »
they shall condemn him to death,
a r 2. '
19 And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock and scourge and to erucifie him ; and the third day he shall rise again.
20 of Then came to him the mother of Zebedee's children, with her sons, worshipping him, and desiring a certain thing of him. • 21 And he said unto her, What wilt , thou ? She faith unto him, Grant that these my two sons may sit, the one on thyright hand, and the other on the left in thy kingdom. -
at last be delivered into the Hands of the chief Priests and Scribes, who have hitherto laid wait for me; and they shall cause me to be condemned to death by an unjust Judgment;
19. And they shall deliver me over to the Roman Soldiers, to be abused and mocked, to be beaten and spit upon, and at last to be ignominiously crucified among Malefactors: But on the third Day I will rise again. . . . . . . . . 20, & 2 r. T Then Salome the Wife of Zebedee, with her two Sons james and john, thinking that immediately after this, Resurrection which Jesus spake of, he would appearin great
to the jews a temporal Kingdom. 3 came to him, and desired that those her two Sons, who had hithers to been his constant Disci. ples and Followers, might
at the opening of his King:
dom, have the chief Places of Honour under him, and be be next in Dignity to his own Person.
22. Jesus answered: Ye are in a great mistake, and understand not what ye ask: My Kingdom is not, as ye fondly imagine , a Temporal Kingdom, consisting in earthly Glory and Greatness; but 'tis a Spiritual Kingdom; consisting only in Holiness, Righteousness, and Godliness, and in the Spiritual Rewards of these Divine Virtues; and Places of Dignity therein, are not to be expected by Favour or Af. fe&tion, but to be attained by Humility, by Patience and Sufferings. Can ye therefore follow my Example in bearing patiently Injuries, Sufferings,and Death? They said, We can.
23. Jesus replied: Ye shall indeed sollow me in Persecutions and Sufferings, and may thereby attain a Place in my Kingdom and a Share in my Rewards ; But for the Chief Seat of Preeminence and Dignity above others, this is not
22 But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.
- 23 And he faith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with : but to fit on my right hand, and on my left,is not mine to give, but it fball be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.
24. And when the
ten heard it, they were moved with in
dignation against the
25 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great, exercise authority upon them,
Conditions and Qualifica
tions which God hath appointed. 24. Now when the other ten Apostlesheard what these two Brethren desired,
gave them, they were angry
and moved with indignation against them 5 not without something of the same Ambition and Envy in
Brothers should have been preferred before Them.
all to him, and said 3 Ye have all yet a very wrong Apprehension of the MatAmong the Gentiles indeed, and in the Kingdoms of this present World, Men strive ambitiously to get the Dominion one over another; and they who are greatestin Riches and Power, have the greatest Honour and Respect paid them by others:
R 26. But
26. But among you I will have things ordered by other Measures. He that desires to be Great and Honourable among Tou; let him seek to deserve his Honour, . by Meekness and Lowliness ; and let him exercise his Power, not in domineering over any, but in assisting and doing good to All. 27. And he that desires to have the Dignity and Preheminence among you, let him be eminent for his Humility and Readiness to serve all Men. . . . . . 28. For thus even I my self came not into the World to exercise Power and Dominion, to Rule over Men, and to be served
26 But it shall not be so among you: but whosever will be great amongyou, let him be your minister
27 And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your fervant.
28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministred unto,but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
29 And as they departed from Jericho, a great multitude followed him.
20 + And