« PreviousContinue »
The National Education Association
1. Is composed of more than 130,000 members actively engaged in the practice of teaching or interested in the cause of education.
2. Was organized as the National Teachers' Association in 1857; added to itself the American Normal School Association and the National Superintendents' Association in 1870 under the new name The National Educational Association.
3. Was especially chartered by Congress in an act approved by President Theodore Roosevelt June 30, 1906, as the National Education Association of the United States.
4. Was reorganized on a representative basis at Salt Lake City in July, 1920, by the adoption of a new set of By-laws, which give every teacher in the land—from the humblest to the highest-an opportunity to have a part in shaping the plans and policies of the Association.
5. Is dedicated to the purpose of elevating the character and advancing the interests of the profession of teaching and to the advancement of the cause of education.
6. Has a dynamic program for the improvement of education which would give an equal opportunity for a fair start in life to every boy and girl in the Nation.
7. Prepares for its summer meeting each year a program which stim ulates thinking on educational problems and quickens educational enthusiasm throughout the country.
8. Has twenty-three departmental organizations which prepare pro grams in their special fields and make enormous contributions to the educa. tional advance.
9. Maintains a National headquarters with a carefully-selected staff of experts in the various activities of professional organization who guard the interests of teachers and children every day of the year.
10. Issues a Journal that each month carries to the Association's growing membership reports of its activities, accounts of educational progress, and facts and material which every teacher needs for professional and personal growth.
diret Vol. 11, No. 1
The Journal OF THE NATIONAL EDUCATION AssociATION
An encyclopedic, alpha-
How We Made It select the many thousands easy to handle and will stand
used in this work. There is a Accurate and Authentic
any usage the child gives it. picture for every idea that Regardless of expense this enIf you were selecting an Editor- needs a picture. There are cyclopedia has been made as in-Chief of your encyclopedia
hundreds of pictures in color. beautiful as it is serviceable. wouldn't you select a man like
The captions under each pic
ture are especially written, not Your Opportunity Dean Guy Stanton Ford, of
lifted out of the text. A large the Graduate School of the
To See This New staff of skillful artists was used University of Minnesota-or a exclusively for the art work
Encyclopedia-at the Managing Editor like Samuel of this encyclopedia. Each pic
N. E. A. Convention Bannister Harding, well- ture is clear, new, and interestknown writer and professor of
Won't you examine this ening so that the child will be History. Assisting these men drawn into the fascination of
cyclopedia and see whether as Advisory Editors were men acquiring knowledge.
we have lived up to the aim like Sir Robert Borden, former
this ForeHow We Made It Prime Minister of Canada
word. Lotus D. Coffman, William Inspirational Lyon Phelps, and John M.
This encyclopedia is really Coulter. The complete list of a short-cut to learning. It
ar e the eminent experts and scholdoes not exact a penalty of
printing bears who made this encyclo- children for learning things,
low a little pedia is a guarantee of the
invitation by making the obtaining of accuracy and authenticity of each fact a dry-as-dust
which we the work. task. The breath of inspir
would like ation is everywhere evident for you to clip out so that you will How We Made It Com- each article has been written
remember to call at our booths, from a clear, fresh viewpoint.
86 and 87, Leiter Bldg., during plete and Up To Date Each article starts with the
the coming Educational and This is the only encyclopedia salient point and takes the
Commercial Exhibit of the N. written wholly, every word of child on a fascinating little
E.A., February 27 to March 3. it, since the World War. In journey right to what he wants
Let us show you this encycloits eight volumes is covered to know. One article is an in- pedia. See if it isn't well worth clearly and thoroughly every spiration to read another. The
the $450,000 that was spent field of the world's knowledge. child's mind is stimulated, his just to make it. Why not tear It is not a revision. It is not a ideals directed toward the best
out this little invitation now modernization of an older things in life. For this is more
and slip it into your note book? work. It is not pieced together than an encyclopedia - it is a from other material. Every child's library that opens up a
F. E. COMPTON & CO. word of it has been written pathway to all of the world's 58 East Washington St. within the last three years, knowledge.
Chicago, Illinois and carries the new world perspective that came out of How We Made It the war. In the last volume,
Invitation the eighth, is given a complete index to every fact in the whole In justice to the man who
You arecordially invited to examine work. Outlines of the whole made this work possible it F. E. Compton and Company's field of knowledge are given. was evident that its physi- new 1922 Encyclopedia at Booths One glance shows at once cal appearance must be as 86 and 87 Leiter Bldg., Congress that this is much more than attractive as its contents.
and State Sts., Chicago, during the
Educational and Commercial Exan encyclopedia. It is a verit- A special paper was made able child's library, yet one
at the mills, smooth yet free
hibit of the N.E.A., February 27
to March 3, inclusive. which he will never outgrow. from the glare that hurts
children's eyes. Beautiful
If you are not able to attend the session How We Made It color plates are interspersed
of the N. E. A., just fill in your name and Pictorial
throughout the whole address below and we will be glad to work. The type itself is
send you complimentary sample pages
and full information, Visual education is one of the clear and readable. The new advances upon which this binding would do justice to Namė.. encyclopedia is based. Pic- any millionaire's library. tures were gathered from all The layout is artistic and
Address.. over the world from which to
pleasing. Each volume is Mention THE JOURNAL when writing our advertisers.