« PreviousContinue »
The nominations of the Commissioners of Gas and Electricity by the Governor were confirmed by the Senate July 20, 1905.
The first hearing of the Commission was held in the city of Albany, August 8, 1905. The room of the Committee of Ways and Means of the Assembly was temporarily occupied, and such occupation continued until December, when permanent rooms in the Capitol were assigned by the Trustees of Public Buildings.
In accordance with the provisions of section 5 of the act creating the Commission, a branch office was established September 1, 1905, in New York city, at No. 5 Nassau street. A branch office in the city of Buffalo is deemed unnecessary at this time.
Immediately following its organization the Commission considered the following matters:
1. The preparation of rules of practice governing procedure
before the Commission.
2. Applications made for its action under the law.
3. The preparation of an authoritative list of the corporations, municipalities and persons owning and operating plants subject to the supervision of the Commission.
4. Preparation of a compilation of the laws relating to gas and electric light and power corporations.
5. Gathering statistics for the use of the Commission in performing the functions conferred upon it by the act.
6. The preparation of a form of annual report of corporations to the Commission.
RULES OF PRACTICE.
It was necessary to formulate Rules of Practice on the following subjects:
Approval of incorporation.
Certificate of authority to a municipality.
Such rules were prepared and adopted by the Commission and are attached hereto. (See Appendix "B.")
The Commission early adopted a rule that notice of all applications made to it should be advertised in local newspapers so as to give an opportunity for persons or companies interested to
APPLICATIONS TO THE COMMISSION.
Hearings have been had by the Commission, and orders granted in the following cases to January 1, 1906:
Current to Orange County Light Co. of
Middletown and Port Jervis Gas, Electric
Light, Power & R. R. Co. of Port Jervis.. June 12, 1905
ing in village of Hermon, St. Lawrence Co. Sept. 11, 1905
of Greene and towns of Cairo and Catskill.. June 23, 1905
in village of Goshen, Orange county. Oct. 9, 1905
Goshen Illuminating Company.
Dec. 27, 1905
Citizens Light and Power Co..
Gas plant and franchise.
Auburn Gas Co.
Consumers Light and Power Co.
Franchise, works, stock
Orange county Lighting
Nov. 28, 1905