Page images
PDF
EPUB
[blocks in formation]

Severe burns and shock supposed to have been

caused from primary wire down across Broadway,
the north end hanging about 10 feet from pole and
south end was found wound around pole on

adjoining street.
Telephone lineman working on poles used jointly by

his company and the lighting company touched a

2,000 volt wire.
Police reported wire down at Perry and Van Rens-

selaer streets, 10:10 P. M. Lineman sent to in-
vestigate found telephone company's wire down
and wound around tree. McKeown's injuries
were a cut on his head and thumb and finger

burned.
Touched live wire with arm and was slightly burned.
Burned on face and neck by short circuit, caused by

slipping of a clamp across the bus bars of negative

and positive cells.
Burns on hands and wrists and bruises caused by

fall. While cleaning transformers, placed hand

on a live terminal.
While standing on viaduct reached out and touched

wires and received burns on hands, breast and legs
While testing for ground on alternating circuit, was

replacing top he had cut. In reaching, his breast
came in contact with one pole and arm on the

and he received two slight burns.
Hand badly burned from catching hold of

electric wire which was claimed to be hanging
near ground.
While using water in cleaning around live connec-

tions, a short circuit on working bus bars was

caused, burning both forearms,
While working on conductor of an arc circuit on

which was no current and which was grounded,
accidentally touched buckle on arm to charged
conductor of 2,200 volts, primary circuit, burning

hand and elbow.
While melting compound from tube joint to dis-

connect old service, the service joints short

circuited and burned him on hands and face.
While walking with parent, placed his hand inside

the door in the base of an iron arc lamp pole and

received shock, burning his hand. While trimming street lamp standing on ground,

without rubber gloves, line crossed primary line and current burned left hand.

[merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small]
[graphic][merged small][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][merged small][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][merged small][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed]
[blocks in formation]
[blocks in formation]

331 Dean street, Brooklyn.

Overcome by gas in trench.
110 Nassau avenue, Brooklyn

Overcome by gas while stopping leak.
110 Nassau avenue, Brooklyn.

Illness of self, wife and son claimed due to escaping

gas. 611 3d avenue, New York city. While trying to put a fitting on ceiling drop and

using a light, dead gas ignited, singeing eyebrows

and lashes.
N. Y.C. depot, Buffalo

Removed hose from valve with full pressure on;

gas ignited from safety lamp, burning wrist;

valve stem was found to be broken.
356 9th street, Brooklyn.

Explosion of gas cooker.
3d avenue and Bergen st., Brooklyn. Overcome by gas while excavating for leak.
Bell Telephone Co.'s office, LeRoy,
N. Y..

Partially asphyxiated and mouth and lip cut from

fall.
House, Eastern Parkway, 50 feet east
of Saratoga avenue, Brooklyn..... Injury to hand from of plaster cause

by gas
explosion.
214 East 3d street, New York city. Went into cellar to locate leak, Did not smell gas

and lighted torch, which ignited escaping gas.
1512 Lexington avenue, New York
city..

In trying to locate escaping gas, was burned by ex

plosion, caused by fitter's torch. 1028 Jefferson avenue, Brooklyn. Found unconscious from escaping gas at 11 A. M.

Accidentally turned on gas in heater. 238 Powell street, Brooklyn.

Claims to have been made ill by escaping gas.
394 Sumner avenue, Brooklyn. Mr. Thompson claims to have been made sick by

escaping gas of leaking stove; and Mr. Reilly
was found lying on car tracks and alleged to be

overcome by gas. 52 Pacific street, Brooklyn..

While altering pre-payment meter to new rate and

testing for leak; was injured by explosion, receiving burns on face, head and arms.

Non-employe..

[blocks in formation]
[blocks in formation]
[blocks in formation]

Partial asphyxiation. Inlet cone of meter broken.

This was a new meter placed that same day in place of one found broken in same way. Manner

in which cone was broken unexplained. Overcome by gas escaping from a leak at the meter

cock, while working in cellar. While assisting to connect gas service to main the

gas suddenly caught fire, burning his right arm
slightly.
Was connecting service to gas main and after having

elbow made up, used fire to test it; after proving
it gas tight, removed gas plug from elbow when

flame shot up to his face.
Gas escaping from unkept # inch opening in hall

riser. Leak was indicated and meter turned off
and plumber called. Plumber turned on met er
while looking for leak and Mrs. Goldberg, tenant,
called landlord Kemp to investigate. He struck

a match and explosion followed, burning both,
Parties claim in trying to extinguish a flame at drip

of service pipe the cap of drip fell off, and both

were badly burned.
While a header was being extended and meter set

and a test was being made of the service pipe,
gas on the floor above became ignited and caused
explosion, burning the persons injured. Gas
escaped on floor above.
While trying to repair broken service, was over-

come by gas

[blocks in formation]

M. Keegan.
Anna Sol rofsky (also

Geo. and William,
minors).

Non-employes.

Aug. 9

H. Joseph Lovett.

Employe.

25

Bedford avenue, Brooklyn.

Mrs. Sobrofsky entered room where gas was escap

ing, with a lamp or candle, causing explosion, in

which all three sustained burns, 255 West 68th street, New York city. Stepped into closet with lighted torch to find leak,

and while there, the door shut, causing dead gas to come down from ceiling, which ignited from torch, burning his face and hands.

[blocks in formation]
« PreviousContinue »