« PreviousContinue »
contained in any Marsh where the proposed work is to be done :
(3) That the meeting mentioned in Section fire shall be held in the Parish of Lancaster, as near as may conveniently be to the Marsh where the proposed work is to be done :
(4) That notice of meeting mentioned in Section fire, and notice (A) mentioned in Section nine, shall not only be published as therein mentioned, but also by posting the same in three public places in the said Parish ; or the Commissioners may, instead of publishing notice (A), serve such notice on the several owners,either personally or by leaving the same at his house with some adult member ofhis family, or may transmit the same by post to the several owners not resident in the City and County of Saint John :
(5) The Commissioners shall keep a separate record of each of the several Marshes, and they shall keep separate Accounts of the several Marshes, open to the inspection of the owners of the land on the Marsh to which they refer:
(6) The Commissioners may employ one Clerk for all the Marshes in the said Parish, or they may have a Clerk for each Marsh, or otherwise, and remove such Clerk from time to time, and appoint others; and any irregularity in any meeting, assessment or other proceeding for any one Marsh, shall not affect or invalidate the proceedings with regard to any other Marsh in the said Parish:
(7) The Chairman of Commissioners shall preside at meetings of the Commissioners and of the proprietors of each of the said several Marshes:
(8) The costs and expenses mentioned in Section nine shall be assessed on the sereral owners of the land on the Marsh for which such costs and expenses are incurred, subject to the proviso therein mentioned.
County of Saint John, (or to the owners of the
in the City and County of Saint John.). The following persons, owners of land on the Great Marsh
in the City and County of Saint John, (or as the case may be), have been assessed in the sums set opposite their respective names,and they will pay such sums respectively to the undersigned, Chairman of Commissioners of Sewers, on or before the day of next, or proceedings will be taken to collect the same.
To the Sheriff of the City and County of Saint John:
By virtue of the power and authority in us vested under and hy virtue of Chapter 116, of Certain Marsh Lands in the City and County of Saint John,' we hereby direct you to levy of the goods and chattels of C. D. in your bailiwick, the sum of ; and in case you shall not find within your bailiwick sufficient of the goods and chattels of the said C. D. whereon to levy the same, you are hereby required to levy on the lands of the said C. D. on the Great Marsh in the City and County of Saint John, (or as the case may be,) the said sum of , and to proceed thereon according to law ; and we further direct you to pay the said sum of when so levied, to the Chairman of the Commissioners of Sewers for the said Great Marsh, and to return this execution to the Chairman of the said Commissioners on or before the
day of , A. D. 18 .
(C) To all to whom these presents shall come: I, Sheriff of
the City and County of Saint John, send greeting. Whereas by a certain execution under the hands of the Commissioners of Sewers ofthe Great Marsh of the City and County of Saint John, (or as the case may be), issued under and by virtue of Chapter 116, of. Certain Marsh Lands in the City and County of Saint John,'I was directed to levy of the goods and chattels of C. D. in my bailiwick, the sum of
; and in case I should not find within my bailiwick sufficient of the goods and chattels of the said C. D. whereon to levy the same, I was required to levy on the lands of the said C. D. on the Great Marsh in the City and County of Saint John, (or as the case may be), the said sum of ; and whereas, for want of sufficient goods and chattels, I have leried on certain lands of the said C. D. situate on the Great Marsh in the City and County of Saint John, (or as the case may be), described as follows—[set forth description]- and after advertising and selling the same according to law, E. F. becomes the purchaser thereof, for the sum of : Now know ye, that I, the said Sheriff, in pursuance of the power in me rested, and in consideration of the said sum of do grant, bargain and sell unto the said E. F. all the said lands and tenements, together with all buildings and appurtenances thereon being, to hold the same unto the said E. F., his heirs and assigns, for ever. In witness whereof, I have hereto set my hand and seal, this day of , in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and Signed, sealed and delivered / in presence of
City and County of Saint John, On this
day of , A. D. 18 , before me, personally appeared the abore named Sheriff, and made oath that all the acts required by law for the sale of the lands and tenements mentioned in the within Deed, were truly performed by him, the said Sheriff, and that the within conveyance is his act and deed, executed by him for the purposes in the same mentioned and set forth.
C. H., Justice of the Peace for the City and County of Saint John.
ENGROSSMENT OF ACTS. Acts of the Legislature may be engrossed on Paper; and every Act so engrossed on Paper shall be as valid in all respects as if the same had been engrossed on Parchment according to the practice in that respect hitherto obtaining in this Province.
CHAPTER 118. INTERPRETATION OF TERMS. EXPLANATIONS AND GENERAL
PROVISIONS. Rules of construction of Acts, and interpretation of terms. 1. In the construction of all Acts of Assembly, the following rules shall be observed with respect to the following terms, unless otherwise expressly provided for, or such construction would be inconsistent with the manifest intention of the Legislature, or repugnant to the context, that is to say :
(1) Authority to appoint shall include authority at any time to displace and re-appoint; and such authority shall extend as well to any case of death, as to a refusal or neglect to accept the office or to act therein :
(2) Authority to a Justice of any Court to do an act, shall empower any other Justice of the same Court to act in his stead when necessary; and authority to hear shall include power from time to time to adjourn :
(3) Authority to three or more persons jointly empowered to act, shall enable a majority of them to act :
(4) “ Assizes” shall include Courts of Oyer and Terminer, and General Gaol Delivery, and “Nisi Prius” shali mean any Circuit Court or Sitting after Term, and “ Circuit Court" shall include all the said Courts :
(5) Bonds when required to be given by a public officer, shall be taken in the name of th: Queen :
(6) Bye Laws, Rules, Orders, and Regulations, when authorized to be made, may be altered or revoked, and others made whenever necessary, but none shall be enforced if repugnant to law :
(7) “ Conveyance" shall mean any instrument by which any freehold, leasehold estate, or interest in real estate, may be transferred or affected :
(8) Clerks and other ministerial officers appointed by Government, when required to act, may do so by Deputies subject to the approval of the Governor in Council; and the principal shall, in all cases, be responsible for the acts of his Deputy:
(9) “Captain” or “ Master" shall mean the officer or person in command, or in charge of any company, ressel, or other thing:
(10) “County" shall include City and County; and wherever any County or Parish shall be bounded by any Sea, Bay, Gulf, or River, it shall extend into such Sea, Bay, Gulf, or River, to the boundary of the Province or of the adjoi ning County, running out the side lines thereof in the same manner as if it were land :
(11) Any matter required to be done by or with Her Majesty's Council, or any Member thereof, without specifying the Legislative Council, shall be done by or with the Executive Council, or any Member thereof, as the case may be, excepting only such matters as belong to the Legislative Council, or the Members thereof, as a Branch of the Legislature:
(12) Every word importing the singular number, may ei. tend to several persons or things as well as to one person or thing; and importing the plural number, to one person or thing as well as to several persons or things; and importing the masculine gender, to females as well as males : (13) “Executor" shall include administrator:
14) “Estate” or “ Property” shall mean real and per. sonal estate ; and “Real Estate," "Land," or“ Lands," shall include lands, houses, tenements, and hereditaments, all right thereto and incident therein:
(15) “Folio" shall mean one hundred words :
(16) Forms, when prescribed, shall admit deviations not affecting the substance, or calculated to mislead ;
(17) Governor,” or “Lieutenant Governor,” shall mean the Administrator of the Government of the Province for the time being ; and “Governor in Council,” the act of such Administrator, with the advice and consent of the Executive Council of this Province :