The Joy Diet: 10 Daily Practices for a Happier Life
Welcome to The Joy Diet, a menu of ten behaviors you can add to your way of living and thinking to enhance every day’s journey through the unpredictable terrain of your existence. You can add these behaviors gradually and watch your life become steadily more vivid and satisfying. Or you can go on a “crash Joy Diet” to help you navigate life’s emergencies.
The ten menu items are:
• Nothing: Do nothing for fifteen minutes a day. Stop mindlessly chasing goals and figure out which goals are worth going after.
• Truth: Create a moment of truth to help you unmask what you’re hiding—from others and from yourself.
• Desire: Identify, articulate, and explore at least one of your heart’s desires—and learn how to let yourself want what you want.
• Creativity: Learn six new ways to develop at least one new idea to help you obtain your heart’s desire.
• Risk: Take one baby step toward reaching your goal. The only rule is it has to scare the pants off you.
• Treats: Give yourself a treat for every risk you take and two treats just because you’re you. No exceptions. No excuses.
• Play: Take a moment to remember your real life’s work and differentiate it from the games you play to achieve it. Then play wholeheartedly.
• Laughter: Laugh at least thirty times a day. Props encouraged.
• Connection: Use your Joy Diet skills to interact with someone who matters to you.
• Feasting: Enjoy at least three square feasts a day, with or without food.
No matter what your long-term goals are, The Joy Diet, written with Martha Beck’s inimitable blend of
wisdom, practical guidance, and humor, will help you achieve the immediate gift of joyful living in the here
and now. Begin your journey today.
What people are saying - Write a review
Review: The Joy Diet: 10 Daily Practices for a Happier LifeUser Review - Polly Watson - Goodreads
Dr. Martha Beck's The Joy Diet: 10 Daily Practices for a Happier Life is my new favorite non-fiction book. I love the humor she incorporates into her writing. In so many way, she writes in a manner ... Read full review
Review: The Joy Diet: 10 Daily Practices for a Happier LifeUser Review - Anne - Goodreads
I really love Martha Beck and her articles. I enjoyed this book, and took away some solid ideas from it. I agree with embracing a joy diet for life. 1. Do nothing for 15 minutes a day. Meditate. Be ... Read full review